Microbes, lagomorphs, and the geographic range limit of a California endemic wildflower
A while ago I had some climate data that I needed to play with, but they were in a "wide" format that made analysis in R difficult. These data were obtained from weather stations across the range of C. xantiana, and their format may make sense to us humans, but for data wrangling / analysis, … Continue reading Using tidyr to clean messy, wide data
This always happens -- I have grand plans to post while in the field, then things get too crazy and I don't end up writing anything til I'm back home. But better late than never, I suppose. Summer 2015 field season was hot, dry, and productive -- kinda like the Central Valley! As we all know, … Continue reading Summer Field Season 2015
I gave my first talk this week, at the UMN Plant Biology seminar. The format was a series of "lightning talks," meant to be a 5-minute synopsis of some cool work you're doing. You can watch mine below. Trapped! A SoCal species border from John Benning on Vimeo.
I needed to quantify volumetric water content for a water stress experiment I have going in the greenhouse, but jeez, even a relatively simple setup can cost a pretty penny ($300 -$500). So I went the DIY route. You don't want to skimp on quality for the actual sensor -- for repeated insertion in greenhouse … Continue reading VWC sensor hack